Tuesday 7 September 2010

EDITORIAL: So why the smeg should you listen to me computer man?

Ahoyhoy internets, DaveHowitser here with my first real post on any blog ever! First of all I'd like to say, I don't claim to be any wargames genius (though, GW is my area of expertise and I must say I do know my stuff) but I am a man of strong opinions. Maybe occassionally I'll come up with some gem for you all, but on the whole this will be a place to post my thoughts and army progress along with some input from my mates.

So in the spirit of progress let's get down to business! This afternoon I'd like to talk about how the internets (that's you people!!) have effected the way wargames (specifically 40k and Fantasy) are played globally. Back when I started playing 40k at the tender age of 13 at the arse end of 3rd edition the local metagame was everything! You had to tailor your list aways for what you knew was coming at you in your gaming group everyweek, and certainly in my mind the "all comers" list didn't exist in my area (west of Scotland). Whenever you went to a tourney you would be genuinely surprised at what would be there.


As time progressed into 4th so did technology, and the internet became much more of a household product in mainstream culture. This is the time when we saw the advent of forums and blogs dedicated to niche markets one of which would be miniature wargaming. Now we all know the big boys of the forum and blogsphere; BoLS, FTW, Warseer, B&C, DakkaDakka and many more, but in the new wargaming society we have made do we realise fully how we have changed the landscape of our hobby. As an example, let's take our tourney play as an example. With the coming of blogs and forums the "local" gaming community expanded somewhat into being a worldwide gaming community. Ok, you can't pick up your little plastic men and play some guy in Arazona if you're in Ayrshire -I guess unless you are amazingly committed- but that sense of fellowship with other gamers seems to have transcended the local gaming group wouldn't you say? We share our lists with others though the online personae we build up, we talk tactics, we listen to opinion, news, rumours, tips, tricks, hell all the things we usse to do with guys who are a 10 minute drive away we now do with guys a 10 hour flight away.

And who would say that's a bad thing? I like the fact I can see some guy in Chicago's FootDar list and compare it to. I like the fact I get to see Goatboy's Orgy of Blood List when I go onto BoLS in the afternoon. I like -with the advent and huge success of hobby podcasts- that I can listen to Romeo talk about Battlefoam and curse the fact that being a Brit, I can't get my grubby little hands on any. 

I guess the reason I'm writing this article is in response to the guys who in my own gaming group have become the naysayers against our new global wargaming community; "Oh you see the same lists at every tourney now," "Who are these guys to tell me how to play," "What's the point in listening to these guys talk crap for 2 hours." I say this is balderdash based on common sense! Let me explain: You don't HAVE to read blogs. You don't HAVE to post on forums. If you do they are not there to dictate how YOU of anyone else plays their game. Ok so at every tournament from Victoria to Brighton there are a few Leafblowers and Razorback spams and the interwebs in all likelihood played a large part in that. But does the internet determine the quality of the player playing it? The same list at every tournament played by mediocre players should be a godsend to those who know how to counter attack well.

Come on haters, be groovy about our worldwide community.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this new age we live in, haters or lovers so don't be afraid to comment =]

Love, Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...